July 5th 2019
Hi fellow club members
Some news about our club and what has happened of late.
- Incorporation: We have just received approval for our club to be incorporated from government offices. We are officially the Sunshine Coast Radio Sailing Club Inc. This is an important step as it enables us to get an ABN and subsequently opens the way for more support and sponsorship in the future. Congrats to David for his great work in achieving this.
- Sunshine Coast International One Metre Regatta: The organisation behind the scenes has been frantic with committee members and club members working hard to ensure this premier radio sailing event achieves even greater heights than similar events conducted in the past. We are planning a fresh new look with a focus on providing sailors with the best possible regatta experience. Our nominations are growing and although for this year our numbers are expected to be down a little, we have met our target and the nominations continue to come in. Thanks too in advance the many club members who have generously volunteered their time to assist and work during the regatta to make it such a great event.
- Sailing and new members: Firstly, a warm welcome to two new members, namely Neil Carroll who has joined the sailing division and Paul Ames who will be joining the IOM group. Membership is on the increase and it is great to see new people entering our sport. Please make them feel welcome and offer your assistance if required as it can be very challenging with tuning and sailing technique as we all know when new to the game!
- Tuesday IOM
Handicap racing has been exceptional with the standard of sailing improving all
the time. Congrats to Derek W in his Co-ordinator role who has been challenged
in course selection of late with some very fickle winds but doing a great job.
Large fleet numbers combined with excellent sportsmanship are making for really
enjoyable and fun filled racing for all involved.
- The Laser Division continue to have very close racing with these one design boats. Their format of combined scratch and handicap racing provides all sailors and their capabilities a chance to get on the podium which happens regularly. Well done to Bob for his Co-ordination of the sailing days.
- The newly formed DF95 division has kicked off with solid numbers and promises to be a real growth division of our club. Thanks to the Moreton sailors who come up to give the local lads a good run. Thanks go to Geoff for his good work in the Co-ordinator role for this new class.
- Sunshine Coast Council: We have had several meetings about a range of topics in recent weeks and the reception we have received has been exceptional. We have been welcomed with open arms and have their support in the promotion of radio sailing and our club via a number of council departments. We are on their books now and they are very active in assisting us with web articles, tourism promotion and sports promotion. The future looks great as we forge very strong connections with our local council.
- Boat Storage: Further to the support received from the Sunshine Coast Council we are now storing the pick up boat and trailer in the Stadium Precinct which is only a few hundred metres from where we sail. This move provided by the council is not only much closer but saves us hundreds of dollars as well. As well support is being provided to us to receive grants to cover the costs incurred. We cannot speak highly enough of the council employees and their representatives for the support they are providing us.
- Website: Derek C is now full bore ahead developing our club website. With our incorporation and ABN number we can now register the new website and get it cracking. Derek has done an amazing job in the past with our website and we can’t wait for this new one to hit the airwaves!
- Feedback: We as a committee along with many members are working hard to provide to you, our members the best possible radio sailing competition within a culture of fun, sportsmanship and friendship that we can. We would welcome any feedback or constructive criticism you may like to offer. Please don’t hesitate to contact a member of the committee or Division Co-ordinator if you have some good ideas or suggestions.
See you on the water!!